Current:Home > reviewsRekubit Exchange:F1 driver Esteban Ocon to join American Haas team from next season -VisionFunds
Rekubit Exchange:F1 driver Esteban Ocon to join American Haas team from next season
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 16:58:14
KANNAPOLIS,Rekubit Exchange North Carolina (AP) — Frenchman Esteban Ocon will drive for Haas from next season as a replacement for Kevin Magnussen, the American Formula 1 team said on Thursday.
Details of the deal were not announced, with Haas only saying that the 27-year-old driver committed to a “multi-year contract starting with the 2025 FIA Formula 1 World Championship.”
Ocon, the only driver to win a race for Alpine since it rebranded from Renault at the end of 2020, has picked up just three points this season and had already announced he was leaving the French-owned team. His Alpine contract is expiring at the end of the season.
Ocon made his F1 debut in 2016 with Manor and joined the then-Renault team for 2020. His sole career win came at the Hungarian Grand Prix in 2021 for Alpine after a crash in wet conditions took out much of the field.
“I am thrilled to embark on this new chapter in my Formula 1 career,” Ocon said.. “I’ll be joining a very ambitious racing team, whose spirit, work ethic, and undeniable upward trajectory has really impressed me.”
Haas announced last week that Magnussen would leave Haas at the end of the season when his contract expires.
On the eve of the Belgian Grand Prix, team principal Ayao Komatsu said Ocon will bring crucial experience to the team after 19-year-old Oliver Bearman also joined. The British driver will take the seat vacated by German driver Nico Hulkenberg, who is joining Sauber at the end of the year ahead of its rebranding to Audi for 2026.
“I think we have a hungry, dynamic driver pairing,” Komatsu said.
___
AP auto racing: https://apnews.com/hub/auto-racing
veryGood! (5)
Related
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- MLB power rankings: Rangers, Astros set to clash as 3-team race with Mariners heats up
- Week 1 college football winners and losers: TCU flops vs. Colorado; Michael Penix shines
- Nightengale's Notebook: 20 burning questions entering MLB's stretch run
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- UN nuclear watchdog report seen by AP says Iran slows its enrichment of near-weapons-grade uranium
- American citizens former Gov. Bill Richardson helped free from abroad
- Minnesota prison on lockdown after about 100 inmates refused to return to cells amid heat wave
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- The Black Lives Matter movement: Has its moment passed? 5 Things podcast
Ranking
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Every Real Housewife Who Has Weighed in on the Ozempic Weight Loss Trend
- More than 85,000 highchairs that pose a fall risk are being recalled
- Georgia father to be charged with murder after body of 2-year-old found in trash
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- 'Don't forget about us': Maui victims struggle one month after deadly fires
- Lions, tigers, taxidermy, arsenic, political squabbling and the Endangered Species Act. Oh my.
- Thousands still stuck in the muck at Burning Man festival; 1 death reported: Live updates
Recommendation
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Southeast Asian leaders are besieged by thorny issues as they hold an ASEAN summit without Biden
‘Equalizer 3’ cleans up, while ‘Barbie’ and ‘Oppenheimer’ score new records
Nevada flooding forces Burning Man attendees to shelter in place
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Dodgers pitcher Julio Urías arrested near Los Angeles stadium where Messi was playing MLS game
Mets slugger Pete Alonso reaches 40 homers to join very exclusive club
A driver crashed into a Denny’s near Houston, injuring 23 people